ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport: Modes of transport: Rail.
- Fast over long distances.
- Is cheap over long distances.
- Suitable for carrying:
- heavy goods like motor vehicle parts.
- Bulky loads for example coal and mineral ores
- Is not easily affected by bad weather conditions.
- Saves on the use of labour.
- Can carry a variety of goods.
- Can carry containers.
- Accidents and congestions are very rare.
- Can be electrified and thus clean.
- Modern trains can be very fast even over short distances.
- Very high initial capital cost.
- High costs of installaling railway lines.
- Can be slow over short distances.
- Not suitable for carrying small loads.
- Accidents can be very costly as well as lead to loss of life.
- It is not direct i.e.:
- Does not make door to door service.
- Requires road transport to move goods to their final destinations.
- These are trains
- They travel over very long distances at great speeds.
- They carry mixed cargo or a variety of goods.
- They carry passengers
- They operate on: fixed routes and
- fixed schedules/timetables.
- They link:
- Inland cities with seaports
- Inland cities with other inland cities.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page