ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport: Modes of transport: Rail.
- Fast over long distances.
- Is cheap over long distances.
- Suitable for carrying:
- heavy goods like motor vehicle parts.
- Bulky loads for example coal and mineral ores
- Is not easily affected by bad weather conditions.
- Saves on the use of labour.
- Can carry a variety of goods.
- Can carry containers.
- Accidents and congestions are very rare.
- Can be electrified and thus clean.
- Modern trains can be very fast even over short distances.
- Very high initial capital cost.
- High costs of installaling railway lines.
- Can be slow over short distances.
- Not suitable for carrying small loads.
- Accidents can be very costly as well as lead to loss of life.
- It is not direct i.e.:
- Does not make door to door service.
- Requires road transport to move goods to their final destinations.
- These are trains
- They travel over very long distances at great speeds.
- They carry mixed cargo or a variety of goods.
- They carry passengers
- They operate on: fixed routes and
- fixed schedules/timetables.
- They link:
- Inland cities with seaports
- Inland cities with other inland cities.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.