Drought stressed maize. Image by Missouri.edu ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Weather Hazards: Drought
- In general terms drought is caused by a general shortage of precipitation over an extended period of time usually the rain season resulting in water shortages for both human and natural […]
Fissure eruptions at Mt Nyiragongo. Image credit Imgsoup. ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Lava Plateaus
- Lava eruptions through narrow cracks (fissures) tends to be very quiet and subdued.
- The lava spreads out over the surrounding countryside.
- Successive lava outpourings causes successive layers of lava to […]
River erosion. Image credit Internationalarchives.org ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: River Erosion
- River erosion involves the wearing away of rock and soil found along the river bed and banks.
- It also involves the breaking down of the rock particles being carried downstream by the river.
- There are four […]
Paired terraces resulting from rejuvination. Image credit Geographyas.info ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: River Rejuvination
- Rejuvenation-occurs when there is a negative change in a river’s base level (i.e. when the river’s base level falls) which increases its potential energy and thus enables it […]
An NRZ train. Image credit sa-transport.co.za ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Transport: Trains and rail transport
- Is relatively cheap
- Caries bulk goods such as coal and unprocessed ores
- Carries large amounts of goods and
- Carries large amounts of passengers
- They are comfortable
- Can be very fast
- They are less prone to […]
ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Settlements: The city of Harare
- According to the 2012 census:
- Harare has a population of 2 098 199 people.
- With a male population of: 1 011 831
- And a female population of: 1 086 368
- It is Zimbabwe’s administrative capital and largest city.
- It is the focal point of all roads, rail […]
The city of Mutare. Image credit blogger.com
ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Settlements: The city of Mutare
- Mutare is the eastern gateway into Zimbabwe.
- It has a male population of 34 648 and a female population of 31 534.
- This bring the total population to 28 068 according to the 2012 […]
Unsafe water is a health hazard. Image credit reuters.com
ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes:Population and resources:Population and health
- Important sources of a country’s health and quality of life are water supply and sanitation.
- 97% of the world’s water resources is salty water mainly in the seas and oceans.
- Of the remaining 3%, […]