ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Testing the purity of water
Materials: 4 test tubes, sterilised fresh milk, tap water, borehole water, spring water. plugs
- Collect water samples from a borehole, spring and tap
- Pour out 5 cm3 of milk into each test tube and label each test tube with letters A-D
- Add 5 drops of tap water to test tube B, borehole water to C and Spring water to test tube D
- Cover the test tubes with plugs washed in disinfectant and wiped dry
- Leave the dishes in a warm place for a few days
Results and Observations
- The milk in test tube A was still fresh after a few days
- The milk in test tube B was slightly sour
- The milk in C was less fresh when compared to B
- The milk in D was the most sour
- Tap water is the safest, followed by borehole water and dam/spring/river water is the least safe to drink
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.