ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Mineral Nutrition
- Besides water and carbon dioxide plants also need many different mineral salts from their environment.
- These mineral salts are required in small quantities.
- They are taken up by the plant in solutions form as ions with water and are distributed around the plant.
- Each mineral element has a specific function in the plant.
- The three most important mineral elements are: potassium, nitrogen and phosphorus.
Mineral Uses and their deficiencies
|Mineral Element||Use||Deficiency Effect|
Good leaf growth
Leaves turn yellow/Chlorosis
|Phosphorus||Producing energy-carrier molecules.|
Good root growth.
|Purple leaf colour.
|Potassium||Flower and Fruit formation||Yellow/brown leaf margins.
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.