ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: The Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland: The Closer Union Movement
- In 1907 Lord Selbourne suggested that the federation reach as far as Lake Tanganyika with the aim of consolidating British Imperial Authority
- The BSAC in 1915 suggested to unite Zimbabwe and Zambia so that they cut administrative cost but it was rejected by the British settlers in Zimbabwe
- The British settlers wanted to attain a Responsible Government as compared to the Federation
- The British government however in the early 1920s wanted to strengthen colonial administration in East and Central Africa
- They sent a parliamentary Commission appointed by LS Amery the Secretary of State for Colonies to establish the feasibility of a closer union between Nyasaland, Zambia, Uganda, Kenya and Tanganyika in 1924
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.