ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: The Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland: The Closer Union Movement
- In 1907 Lord Selbourne suggested that the federation reach as far as Lake Tanganyika with the aim of consolidating British Imperial Authority
- The BSAC in 1915 suggested to unite Zimbabwe and Zambia so that they cut administrative cost but it was rejected by the British settlers in Zimbabwe
- The British settlers wanted to attain a Responsible Government as compared to the Federation
- The British government however in the early 1920s wanted to strengthen colonial administration in East and Central Africa
- They sent a parliamentary Commission appointed by LS Amery the Secretary of State for Colonies to establish the feasibility of a closer union between Nyasaland, Zambia, Uganda, Kenya and Tanganyika in 1924
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.