Pipeline under construction. Image credit MediaWiki ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Transport: Pipeline
- They are very efficient
- They are cheap once the installation has been completed.
- They can carry fluids in bulk.
- They are immobile i.e the route cannot be changed once they are installed.
- Can only carry fluids […]
A time charter. Image credit lawandsea.net ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport: Documents used in shipping: Charter Party
- A contract document used to hire a ship for example tramp ships.
- It can be known as a voyage charter when hiring a ramp for a specific […]
A Ferry on Lake Malawi. Image credit seabreezes.co.im
ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Transport: Railways, ports and inland waterways
- Africa’s transport network is the least development in the world for various reason.
- The continent has some of the world’s poorest nations with very low Gross Domestic Products (GDPs), Gross National Products […]
Maersk Container ship. Image credit fleetmon.com ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport: Containerisation
- Refers to the carriage of goods in standardised large containers (boxes) made of metal.
- The containers are:
- filled with goods ready for transportation.
- They are sealed in the presence of custom officials at the point […]
The port at Cape Town South Africa. Image credit businessmediamags.co.za
ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Transport:Ports in Africa
Siting of ports in Africa
- The siting of a port is determined by the physical environment.
- Deep estuaries or deep offshore waters are necessary otherwise where the continental shelf is shallow, a lot of […]
Coal being transported from the mines to the a Thermal Power station. Image credit transportationissuedaily.com ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport: Modes of transport: Rail.
- Fast over long distances.
- Is cheap over long distances.
- Suitable for carrying:
- heavy goods […]
A sample bill of lading. Image credit uvlightpen.com ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport/International Trade: Bill of Lading
Bill of lading
- Is required whenever goods are transported by sea.
- An agreement entered into by the shipping company and the exporter.
- Is evidence (acknowledgement) of receipt fr […]
Ethopian airways. Image credit financialgazette.co.zw
ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Transport:Air Transport in Africa
- Africa’s air transport is poorly organised at both the international and regional levels for the movement of passenger and freight.
- Whilst global passenger and freight traffic have been growing annually, Africa’s situation is one where volumes are […]