ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport: Roll on Roll off (RoRo) Ships
Roll on Roll off (Ro-Ro) ships
- These are specialised types of vessels.
- They allow lorries or vehicles loaded with their own cargo to:
- to be driven onto the ship (roll on) at the port of loading
- and to be driven out of the ship (roll-off) at the port of off-loading (destination)
- They carry a variety of vehicles which in turn carry different cargo.
- They have parking bays for the vehicles.
- Thy ferry both heavy goods and bulky loads on vehicles.
- They are a safe mode of transport because:
- There are no transhipment of goods i.e. goods are not transferred from one transport vehicle (trucks to ship) during loading and off the ships to other modes of transport during the offloading.
- They save time and labour during the loading and unloading stages.
- They follow fixed routes and
- strict timetables.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.