ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Transport: Air Transport
- Is very fast for example a trip to the Victoria Falls takes 1 hour 15 minutes by air and over 12 hours by road.
- Is comfortable
- Not affected by weather elements.
- Not affected by surface relief
- Can be used in times of emergency for example helicopters are used in air rescue missions such as after the earthquake in Nepal.
- Can cover large distances without the need to refuel.
- They can take direct routes.
- They can carry high value goods safely for example there are no air pirates.
- Airspace is usually restricted and controlled by host countries as a matter of national security.
- They can be affected by extreme weather conditions e.g. cyclones.
- Cannot provide door to door services.
- Require expensive air ports to take off and land.
- Airports are usually located far away from residential and industrial areas which means additional modes of transport are required.
- They are very expensive to purchase and maintain.
- Accidents are almost always fatal and costly in damage terms.
- Prone to sabotage and terrorism.
To access more topics go to the Geography Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.