ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Transport: Trains and rail transport
- Is relatively cheap
- Caries bulk goods such as coal and unprocessed ores
- Carries large amounts of goods and
- Carries large amounts of passengers
- They are comfortable
- Can be very fast
- They are less prone to accidents
- Does not provide door to door service.
- Cannot scale steep gradients e.g. Eastern Highlands
- Require railway lines which are expensive to construct.
- Restrictive e.g. trains in the SADC region may be unable to service other countries as they use different railway gauges.
- Require special handling equipment to load and unload.
- Is not versatile as special trailers are required for some loads.
- Is relatively slower than other forms of transport e.g. air.
- Not suitable for perishable goods.
- In Zimbabwe we have only one track which means trains cannot pass each other.
To access more topics go to the Geography Notes page.