ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Transport: Trains and rail transport
- Is relatively cheap
- Caries bulk goods such as coal and unprocessed ores
- Carries large amounts of goods and
- Carries large amounts of passengers
- They are comfortable
- Can be very fast
- They are less prone to accidents
- Does not provide door to door service.
- Cannot scale steep gradients e.g. Eastern Highlands
- Require railway lines which are expensive to construct.
- Restrictive e.g. trains in the SADC region may be unable to service other countries as they use different railway gauges.
- Require special handling equipment to load and unload.
- Is not versatile as special trailers are required for some loads.
- Is relatively slower than other forms of transport e.g. air.
- Not suitable for perishable goods.
- In Zimbabwe we have only one track which means trains cannot pass each other.
To access more topics go to the Geography Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.