ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes:Agriculture:Farming types in Africa:Solutions to the Problems Caused by Nomadism
- The problem caused by nomads are a cause for concern for settled farmers and governments in Africa, as well as international organisation such as the United Nations.
- As a result, measures have been undertaken to deal with these problems with varying degrees of success.
- One solution is to sedentarise the nomads.
- The United Nations devised a scheme for the sedentarisation of nomads in the Sahel.
- Another solution is to commercialise the animal husbandry of the nomads after settling.
Commercialisation of nomadism
- Since the nomads already have large herds, the idea is to now improve the quality of the animals which the farmers can sell and derive cash.
- This is done by building dip tanks to rid the animals of tick-borne diseases, vaccinating the animals, destocking and undertaking controlled grazing as well as fattening the livestock before sale.
- Pastures may be irrigated for them to become perennial.
- The solution above can only succeed if the nomads understand and accept the rewards.
- Therefore, massive education campaigns are to be undertaken to enlighten the nomads on problems and benefits.
- Educated nomads have quit the tradition of moving around.
- In already devastated lands, rehabilitation programmes are being implemented though afforestation, reforestation, regrassing and building dams for irrigation projects.
- It is important to note that the environmental conditions under which nomadism occurs are the harsh arid or semi-arid with very low rainfall, drought and scanty vegetation
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.