ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: The Struggle for Independence in Colonial Zimbabwe 1900-1980: Nyadzonya raid
- The Rhodesian Security Forces with the help of part-time soldiers organized a major counter-offensive attack on 2 May 1976
- Rhodesian Selous Scouts on 9 August 1976 besieged a ZANLA military camp in Mozambique at Nyadzonya and attacked it
- There were about 5,000 guerrillas and hundreds of refugees.
- The Selous Scouts were 72 in number and they wore FRELIMO uniforms,
- The whites among them had black ski masks,
- They also attached FRELIMO license plates and painted their vehicles in FRELIMO colours in disguise White soldiers wore black ski masks
- They crossed to Mozambique at about 0005 hours and greeted FRLIMO forces as they drove by
- They got to the ZANLA camp at around 0800 hours,
- They were allowed entry and
- they went on to set up their positions around 4,000 guerrillas
- When they were ready they shouted the words “Zimbabwe tatora!” (We have taken Zimbabwe/Zimbabwe is now ours )
- They began firing and only stopped when there was no movement on the ground
- They killed more than 1000 ZANLA forces and only four of the Selous Scouts were wounded lightly
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.