ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Natural Resources: Fishing: Introduction
- The Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) countries are found between the Atlantic Ocean on the west and Indian Ocean on the east.
- The region is endowed with large fresh water bodies.
- These are in the form of rivers, lakes, swamps and flood pains.
- The region therefore has a wide variety of both ocean and fresh water fish species.
Importance of fishing
- The fishing industry is becoming increasingly important in the economies of Southern-Central Africa.
- For example Mozambique and Malawi.
- It has made a positive contribution to the welfare of the people of Southern Africa in the following ways.
- It is a source of food and protein.
- It is a source of income.
- Creates employment.
- It provides recreation for example trout fishing in the eastern districts of Zimbabwe and tiger fishing in Lake Kariba.
- It also provides raw materials for industry for example fish canning, fish oils, pet foods and fertilisers.
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen