ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: The Zulu State: Tshaka’s military innovations
- Shaka kaZulu was the military commander
- The army commanders and indunas were appointed by Shaka personally from the royal family
- The army was very crucial in the day to day life of the Zulu state
- All men below the age of 40 were conscripted into the army
- Soldiers of the Zulu state were divided into different age regiments
- Each regiment had about 800-1000 strong soldiers
- Each regiment had its own songs and war-cry
- Each regiment wore a distinctive head-dress and dressing
- Each regiment also had a distinctive shield colour
- Regiments were positioned in regiments towns strategically located in the state
- Each regiment had an induna who was the military commander
- During times of peace the regiments did activities like repairing kraals and fences , cultivation, sowing, weeding and harvesting of royal crops
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.