ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport: Functions of a Seaport authority
Functions of a Sea-Port Authority
- Ensure that seaports are accessible from the inland by both road and rail.
- Ensures efficient handling of both imports and exports
- Maintains approaches to a port by both dredging and buoys.
- Maintains the general state of efficiency at a seaport.
- Charges and collects dock, harbour, port dues and wharfage.
- Licences pilots
- Storage facilities
- Refueling facilities for ships
- Loading and unloading facilities for example cranes, fork lifts and quays.
- Provide dock labour force e.g. stevedores.
- Pilots to assist in stirring ships to the harbour.
- Offices for customs authorities.
- Ship repair yards e.g. dry docks.
- Supplies fresh water and food.
- Quarantine of animals to maintain public health.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.