ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: An experiment to show that solids change shape when they melt
Materials: tin lid/evapouration dish, burner, burner stand, candle wax
- place a lump of candle wax on a tin lid/evaporation dish on the burner stand
- heat the candle wax until it melts
- Allow the candle wax to cool
Observations and results
- when the experiment begins the wax as an irregular shape
- as it turns into a liquid during the heating process it assumes the shape of the evaporation dish
- when it cools it retains the shape of the dish
- liquids take up more volume that solids
- liquids take up the shape of their container
- solids take up less volume than liquids
- solids have a fixed shape and they retain their shape
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.