ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Reproduction in plants: Reproduction in Plants: Investigating the conditions necessary for germination to occur
Materials: maize/bean seeds, containers one of which has a lid, cotton wool, filter paper, pyrogallic acid
- Take four batches with ten seeds in each batch
- Put them in containers as shown in the diagrams above i.e.
- Container a) has water, oxygen and a low temperature
- Container b) has oxygen, a suitable temperature but no water
- Container c) has water, a suitable temperature but no oxygen (pyrogallic acid absorbs oxygen)
- Container d) has water, oxygen and a suitable temperature
- Container d) is the control
- Observe what happens in a few days
- Very few seeds in container a) germinate depending on the seed types used in the experiment
- The Dry seeds in container b) do not germinate at all
- The seeds in container c) do not germinate at allowing
- Most/All of the seeds in container d) germinates
- Seeds are more likely to germinate when there is moisture and oxygen present at an optimum temperature
- Dry seeds do not germinate at allowing
- Light is not necessary for germination to occur as the seedling does not need to photosynthesize in the early days as the required nutrients are stored in the seed
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.