ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Settlements: Classification of settlements
- Settlements are generally classified as either rural or urban.
- Rural settlements are those settlements where mostly primary activities occur.
- The majority of settlers in rural areas carry out primary activities in order to earn their living.
- These include activities like mining, farming, fishing and forestry.
- The populations of these settlements often depend on the surrounding land.
- As such settlements grow, they also increase the variety of activities and may develop into urban settlements.
- An urban settlement is one which mainly carries out secondary and tertiary functions.
- Examples of such functions include commerce, banking, manufacturing and service provision businesses such as banking and insurance.
- Urban settlements carry out a wider ranger of services when compared to rural settlements
To access more topics go to the Geography Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.