ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Experiment Chrome plating a nickel cathode
Aim: To chrome plate a nickel cathode
Materials: nickel-plated electrode, lead electrode, beaker, chromic acid
- Set up an electrolytic cell using a nickel plated cathode from this experiment
- Place 200cm3 of chromic acid solution in a beaker
- Warm it up to 40°C
- Pass a current through the solution for about 20 minutes
- Switch off the current and disconnect the cathode
Observations and results
- The nickel plated cathode is covered by chrome and achieves a glossy finish
- It does adhere well even during polishing
- Chrome shines more than nickel
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.