ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Experiment: Nickel platting a piece of copper sheet
Aim: To nickel plate a piece of copper
Materials: beaker, nickel sulphate, boric acid, burner, nickel electrode, 1.5 v cell, copper electrode/copper plated item, universal indicator
- In a beaker make 20cm3 a solution using 54g nickel sulphate and 6g boric acid
- Warm the solution to about 70°C
- Test the pH and add more boric acid if it is too high (i.e. if is greater than 4)
- Immerse a copper cathode and a nickel anode into the solution
- Allow a current to flow for about 20 minutes
- Switch off the current and disconnect the cathode
Results and Observation
- The copper sheet is covered (plated) with nickel
- The nickel is shiny i.e. it has a bright sheen
- It does adhere well to the copper even during polishing
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.