ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Natural Resources: Zimbabwean Forests: Acacia Savanna Woodlands
- Acacia trees are also known as umbrella trees due their shape and also the fact that they are usually surrounded by islands of grass often providing the only shade for a distance
- This type of woodland is mainly confined to the southern middle and lowvelds mainly below 400 metres above sea levels.
- Rainfall is usually below 500 mm while temperatures are above 25°
- The dominant species in this zone is the acacia or thorn tree and the baobab.
- Though the acacia tree is useful for wood fuel, this area is mainly used for extensive grazing and irrigated farming.
- Communities in the communal areas also use it for fencing and building.
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page