ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: The Struggle for Independence in Colonial Zimbabwe 1900-1980: The Kissinger Proposals
- Efforts to get a peaceful settlement were necessary after the war were now necessary after 1977
- Nkomo and Smith had failed to reach a consensus during the internal settlement and a new group of negotiators came to the scene which was led by Henry Kissinger an American Foreign Minister
- America was drawing lessons from Mozambique, Angola and Vietnam that liberation struggles made nationalists radicals inclined to communism
- Kissinger wanted to prevent this situation in Zimbabwe by granting majority rule but at the same time protecting minority rights
- Kissinger and Smith drafted a proposal to this effect
- At this time Smith was beginning to give up
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.