ZIMSEC O Level History Notes:Scramble and Partition of Africa:The Berlin Conference
- The Berlin colonial conference took place from 1884-1885
- This is not to be confused with the Congress of Berlin(1878) or the Postdam conference of 1945
- It was called for by the German Chancellor Otto Von Bismarck
- The scramble for Africa was done in a disorderly manner hence there was need for an agreement on how Africa was to be shared among European countries to prevent further conflict.
- The aims of the conference was to put rules to prevent conflicts amongst imperial powers.
- All powers were to have freedom of navigation on the major rivers such as Zambezi,
Congo and Niger.
- European powers had to sign treaties with local chiefs in order for them to claim a territory
- No European power was supposed to assist an African country in resisting colonization
- After acquiring a colony, European powers had to notify to the signatory power of the Berlin Act. This was also know as the principle of sphere of influence
- Other colonial powers had to be notified on any claims for them to do counter claims
- Strong and sophisticated weapons were not to be brought to Africa
- Any disputes among colonial powers were to be solved peacefully
- Effective and total occupation were necessary for claim to be valid e.g raising a flag. This was also known as the principle of effective occupation
- Colonizers were to stop slave trade in colonized areas
- The Congo River Basin area (Congo Free State) was to be recognized as King Leopold’s (Belgium) territory.
- The Congo Free state was to be ruled by an International Association formed by King Leopold
- Portugal was to receive a piece of land North of the Congo
- The area along the northern banks of the Congo was a territory of France
- Territory claims by Germany were recognized
Shortfalls of Berlin Conference
- The resolutions made at the conference did not take into consideration any African view points
- There were no African representatives at the conference
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen