ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Terms used in business organisations
- Membership to a private limited company is by invitation.
- Shares of a private limited company are onlys sold to invited members for example friends and relatives.
- Shares cannot be sold or bought on the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange or transferred publicly.
- Financial records of a private limited company are not made available for public inspection, perusal or consumption but are submitted only to the Zimbabwe Revenue Authority for tax purposes.
- A private limited company is usually a family owned business.
- Membership to a public limited company is open to members of the public.
- Membership is by public invitation through a prospectus or advertisements placed in newspapers.
- Shares of a public limited company can be bought, sold or transferred publicly through the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange.
- Audited financial records are published in the newspapers.
- Sold by government or local authorities to members of the public.
- These are government shares, which are sold in bundles of 100 shares or multiples thereof.
- Gilt-edged securities.
- A very secure form of investment backed by government.
Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- A legal requirement for limited companies under the Companies Act.
- Must be attended by all shareholders or by proxy.
- Held once a year.
- Where a Board of Directors are elected decisions are made.
Board of Directors
- Must hold ordinary shares in order to be elected.
- They control the business.
- Elected at an Annual General Meeting.
- Responsible for the day to day running of the business through the managing director.
- The managing director reports to the board.
- Powers are stated in the articles of association.
- Composed of 2 to 6 members.
- Draws up the policy of the company.
- Powers and limitations are stated in the articles of association of the company.
- Members may or may not be shareholders.
- Board chooses the managing director.
- Members of the board are elected by the shareholders at an Annual General Meeting.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.