ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: South Africa 1867 – 1910: The Mining Companies
- The first settlers to acquire gold claims got more ores easier and were able to raise more capital for reinvestment
- Later gold mining required much more technical and advanced machinery
- Rhodes was one of the late comers and also the Wernher and Beit
- Rhodes had been busy setting his De Beers company and occupying Zimbabwe and he had to move fast in the gold mining sector to catch up with others
- Gold mining groups called H Eckstein and Co Rands were established by Wernher and Beit in the early 1890s
- After 10 years of intensive mining the groups that were leading were:
- Rand Mines
- Consolidated Gold Mines
- JB Robinson
- Johannesburg Consolidated
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.