ZIMSEC O Level Business Studies Notes: Sole Trader Businesses
- It is a form of business where there is only one owner who manages and controls the business.
- The owner of a business is also known as a proprietor and hence the business is also known as a sole proprietorship which means the business has one owner.
- A sole proprietorship is a type of business entity which legally has no separate existence from its owner.
- Hence, the limitations of liability enjoyed by a corporation do not apply to sole proprietors.
- All debts of the business are debts of the owner.
- It is a “sole” proprietor in the sense that the owner runs the business by himself/ herself i.e. it is a one-man business and the owner has no partners.
- The business and the owner are the same which means unlike with a limited liability company there is no continuity after the death of the owner.
- A sole proprietorship essentially means a person does business in his or her own name and there is only one owner.
- A sole proprietorship is not a corporation; it does not pay corporate taxes, but rather the person who organized the business pays personal income taxes on the profits made.
- A sole proprietor may do business with a trading name other than his or her legal name.
- Has fewer legal formalities to comply with.
- Can keep their accounts private.
- Requires little capital.
- Can offer personalized services to customers
- Can be open for long hours.
- Fewer government regulations.
- It is the easiest business to start.
- Sole trader enjoys the profits alone.
- Quick decision making as the owner retains all control and does not have to consult with anyone else.
• There is a limit to an amount of capital that can be raised.
• There is no continuity after the death of the owner.
• They have unlimited liability which means the owner can lose their personal assets in settlement of a debt incurred by the business.
• Can be subject to estate taxes in the event of the owner’s death.
• There may be poor decision making because the owner cannot consult with anyone and there is little room for specialization.
• Incurs all the losses alone.
To access more topics go to the O Level Business Studies Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen