ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes:Refugees: Possible solutions to the refugee problem
- These include both long term and short term solutions for the host countries.
- This is the return of refugees to their source country when the source of danger has been removed
- This is very expensive in that they have to be transported, basic shelter provided, arrangements for sanitation etc
Resettlement and training
- Refugees are given pieces of land to farm and are made productive in any other possible way in the host country.
- They are trained in such skills that will make them contribute to the economy of the host country.
- An example is the refugee camp at Mazowe River Bridge and Tongogara in Zimbabwe were Mozambican refugees were trained.
- Services such as schools, clinics and water were provided and presently Tongogara camp serves as a training centre for refugees from as far away as Rwanda.
- This is when refugees are granted citizenship.
- This is only practical when the refugees are very few.
- This is a long term and positive solution to the refugee problem.
- This includes:
- The respect for human rights
- Management and resolution of conflicts be they intra or inter-party or ethnic.
- Establishing, maintain a respecting democratic government systems and power sharing by all groups of citizens.
- It is hoped that this will make every country peaceful to stay in, make it productive and hence avoid food shortages.
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen