ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Natural Resources: Fishing:Ocean currents and the fishing industry
- Ocean currents are important in the fishing industry as they affect the growth of plankton which provides fish food.
- Warm ocean currents restrict the growth of plankton hence give rise to poor fishing grounds.
- Cold ocean currents encourage the growth of plankton (small plants) as they are rich in nutrients.
- These give rise to rich fishing grounds.
- Ocean currents also determine fish movements along coastal areas of Southern Africa.
- Sardines from the Benguela current system in the west coast of South Africa, are trapped in the cold water off the southern tip of Africa.
- Before being transported along the Natal coast by the backwater of the warm Agulhas current, which is known as the Natal Sardine Run.
- Ocean currents also disperse nutrients in sea surface waters, which are brought from inland by rivers and streams.
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.