ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: Dictatorship in Europe: Dictatorship in Italy: Benito Mussolini: How Mussolini established total control in Italy between 1922 and 1930
Benito Mussolini took several steps to establish and consolidate his power in Italy.
- In 1923 he passed the Acerbo law which stipulated that a party which had the majority votes in national elections should be given 2/3 of the seats in parliament.
- In 1924 the Fascists party used violence and intimidation such as beating up and killing opponents to win elections.
- In 1925 he introduced press censorship and anti-Fascists newspapers and magazines were banned and the party controlled the media. Editors were replaced by Fascist supporters.
- Education in schools and universities was closely monitored.
- Teachers had to wear uniforms and new textbooks were written to glorify the Fascists system.
- In 1926 local government elections in towns and cities were banned and members were elected by National Party representatives.
- Persistant opponents of the regime were either exiled or murdered for example Glacemo Mathias and Giovanni Amendola were put to death by Fascist thugs. Another socialist leader Matteoti was killed.
- Although parliament still met by 1926 all important decisions were taken up by the Fascist Grand Council which always did as Mussolini told them.
- Mussolini adopted the title Il Duce and the slogan “Mussolini is always right.”
- Children were encouraged to criticize teachers who did not show enthusiasm for the party.
- Children and young people were forced to join the government Youth organization which indoctrinated them with fascist ideas and glories of war.
- Trade unions were controlled through the corporate state.
- Strikes and lockouts were banned.
- Mussolini also had a state police called OVRA.
- To compensate for their loss of freedom workers were assured of may benefits like free Sundays, annual holidays with pay, social security, sports and theater facilities, cheap tours and holidays.
- A new electoral law was passed in which the Fascist Grand Council chose and provided the electorate with a list of names to vote for.
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen