ZIMSEC SCHOOL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level
ENGLISH LANGUAGE 1122/1
JUNE 2014 SESSION 1 hour 30 minutes
TIME 1 hour 30 minutes
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
- Write your name, Center number and candidate number in the spaces provided on the answer paper/answer booklet.
- Read the paper carefully before answering the questions.
- Answer two questions.
- Answer one question from Section A and the one from Section B.
- Write your answers on the separate answer paper provided.
- If you use more than one sheet of paper, fasten the sheets together.
INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
- The number of marks is given in brackets
SECTION A (30 MARKS)
Write a composition on one of the following topics. Your answer should be between 350 and 450 words in length. You are advised to spend 50 minutes on this section.
1 Describe the view from the top of the tallest building or mountain in a busy city or village. 
2 Write a story based on one of the following:
Either a) His past had finally caught up with him.  Or b) After all the embarrassing things I had done, I never expected my parents to forgive and welcome me back home. 
3 “Maintaining open and honest lines of communication strengthens relationships between parents and children.” Discuss. 
4 How far do you agree with the view that there is a close relationship between poverty and HIV?AIDS? 
5 The mysterious parcel. 
6 One good turn deserves another. 
7 The advantages and disadvantages of a free education system. 
SECTION B (20 MARKS)
Answer the following question. You are advised to spend 40 minutes on this section. Begin you answer on a fresh page.
8 The following advertisement for the position of Senior Sales Person has been posted in a daily newspaper by Technosales (Ltd). Using the information provided in the advertisement, apply for the post.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.