ZIMSEC SCHOOL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level
ENGLISH LANGUAGE 1122/1
JUNE 2014 SESSION 1 hour 30 minutes
TIME 1 hour 30 minutes
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
- Write your name, Center number and candidate number in the spaces provided on the answer paper/answer booklet.
- Read the paper carefully before answering the questions.
- Answer two questions.
- Answer one question from Section A and the one from Section B.
- Write your answers on the separate answer paper provided.
- If you use more than one sheet of paper, fasten the sheets together.
INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
- The number of marks is given in brackets
SECTION A (30 MARKS)
Write a composition on one of the following topics. Your answer should be between 350 and 450 words in length. You are advised to spend 50 minutes on this section.
1 Describe the view from the top of the tallest building or mountain in a busy city or village. 
2 Write a story based on one of the following:
Either a) His past had finally caught up with him.  Or b) After all the embarrassing things I had done, I never expected my parents to forgive and welcome me back home. 
3 “Maintaining open and honest lines of communication strengthens relationships between parents and children.” Discuss. 
4 How far do you agree with the view that there is a close relationship between poverty and HIV?AIDS? 
5 The mysterious parcel. 
6 One good turn deserves another. 
7 The advantages and disadvantages of a free education system. 
SECTION B (20 MARKS)
Answer the following question. You are advised to spend 40 minutes on this section. Begin you answer on a fresh page.
8 The following advertisement for the position of Senior Sales Person has been posted in a daily newspaper by Technosales (Ltd). Using the information provided in the advertisement, apply for the post.