ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Investigating the movement of water within plants
Aim: To demonstrate that moves up plants which have a transportation system.
Materials: Young plants with roots/celery plants, water, hand lenses, razor blade/scalpel, food colouring/dye.
- Place the young plant with roots/celery into a solution of water with a dye/food coloring.
- Look at the tip of the roots through a lenses. You will observe tiny, white, shiny projections which are known as root hairs which absorb water into plants.
- Observe the colour of the plant closely over a number of days.
- Cut a section across the stem of one of the plants after a number of days.
- Draw the cross section of the stem.
- The leaves change colour adopting the colour of the dye.
- There are coloured tubes within the stem showing conduits that transport water up to the leaves.
- There are tubes/pipes/conduits in plants that transport water from the roots up to the leaves.
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.