ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Introduction, importance and reasons for International Trade
- Trade is the buying and selling of goods and services in order to satisfy the needs and wants of consumers.
- Trade between two countries is known as bilateral trade.
- Trade between more than two countries is known as multilateral trade.
- Both bilateral and multilateral trade are classified as international trade.
Why Zimbabwe Trades with other countries?
- Zimbabwe does not have all it requires to feed its populace i.e. like most countries it is not self-sufficient.
- It therefore buys goods and services from other countries in order to:
- Get what it does not have due to climatic conditions for example raw materials such as cocoa.
- Get what it cannot manufacture due to lack of technological expertise or differences in technology for example vehicles.
- Access a wider rang of goods and services thus uplifting the standards of living.
- Prevent shortages for example when there is a drought.
- Obtain higher quality goods at lower prices than would otherwise be possible if they were manufactured locally.
- Benefit from comparative cost advantage.
- Get seasonal goods when they are not in season in Zimbabwe.
Zimbabwe also sells goods and services to other countries in order to:
- Increase sales by widening its market thus creating employment for its people within and outside its borders.
- Allow specialisation in the production of goods.
- Get rid of excess goods it produces.
- Obtain foreign currency which is required to pay for the import of goods and services.
- Keep its local industries busy producing goods and thus also creating employment.
- Force local industries to produce goods of high quality because international markets are competitive.
- Foster peace and friendship with other countries.
- Promote cultural, scientific and economic cooperation with other countries e.g. China.
- Benefit technology by trading with more developed countries.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.