ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Migration: International Migrations
- This is where people leave their home countries or continents and migrate to other countries.
- Examples are whereby people migrate from Mozambique into Zimbabwe and from Zimbabwe to Botswana and South Africa.
- People move to other countries for several reasons, which include:
- Seeking better working conditions for examples teachers, nurses and doctors from Zimbabwe
- Seeking employment for example from southern Africa to mines in South Africa
- Lower taxation rates for example in Botswana
- Setting up business in areas of cheap labour for example industrialists in Europe and America coming to Africa
- Pushed by hunger and wars or religious persecution
- Shopping for better and cheaper commodities.
- The usual pull and push factors shown in the table below:
|Peace and political stability
|Lack of services
|Better services/Availability of services e.g electricity
|Susceptible to natural disasters e.g. floods
|Not susceptible to natural disasters
|Lack of safety
|Guarantee of safety
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page