ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: The Struggle for Independence in Colonial Zimbabwe 1900-1980: Internal Settlement and Zimbabwe-Rhodesia
- After Smith accepted the One Man One Vote he began talks with local moderate nationalists such as
- Abel Muzorewa,
- Chief Chirau and
- Chief Ndiweni
- The settlement allowed Africans to vote on equal terms with whites
- General elections were held in April 1979 and blacks under Muzorewa won 72 seats out of 100
- Smith stepped down to allow for Muzorewa to become Prime Minister of Rhodesia
- The new government failed to stop the war, bring international recognition and remove sanctions
- The British and Americans felt that the elections had to include the PF for them to be recognized as effective
- The OAU and UN dismissed the elections as invalid
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.