ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland:The Government System during the Federation
- There were two departments of government, that is, the Territorial Governments and the Federal Government to separate the identities of the territories from that of the Federal State
- Territorial Governments were separate from the Federal Government even though they did have limited sovereignty
- Members of the Federal Government were taken from the three colonies as well as the civil service
- A constitution to govern the federation was put in place which took into consideration the needs and rights of the two racial groups, that is white and blacks
- Territorial Governments dealt with the day to day lives of people whilst the Federal Government dealt with bigger and more complex issues of territories, politics and economics
- The Federation Government’s decisions always overrode those of the Territorial Government
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.