ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: Early Societies (Late Stone Age – Early Iron Age): Features of the late Stone Age
- It occurred from 7000 to 1500 years ago.
- It was characterized by microlithic industries
- Microlithic means small and refined tools made up of stone
- The tools made during this age were smaller, finer and sharper
- The stone tools could be used for cutting, scrapping and digging
- The late Stone Age people also used bone implements
- The backbone economic activities of the Late Stone Age economy were hunting and gathering
- Only men were hunters
- They used bows and arrows as well as bone headed spears as hunting tools
- They used pit traps and disguises like the head and horns of antelope and the plumage of the ostrich to get close to animal herds
- Women and children did the gathering
- They gathered edible fruits, berries, roots, ants, caterpillars, locusts and wild honey
- The late Stone Age was also characterized by pottery making,
- It also marked the beginning of pastoralism in some northern parts of African
- Seasonal temporary settlements were also made necessary by the search of game and reliable sources of water
- The marked the begins of sedentary living
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.