ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes:Factors affecting rate of transpiration
- The rate of transpiration varies from plant to plant and day to day.
- Environmental factors affect the rate of transpiration for example wind, heat, dry air and light all speed up the transpiration process.
- Plants that have many large leaves will lose more water than plants with fewer and smaller leaves.
- This is because water loss in plants increases where the surface area is larger.
- There are microscopic holes on the surface of plant leaves.
- These are called stomata.
- Leaves with a higher number of stomata per square centimeter (that is a higher stomata density) lose more water than leaves with fewer stomata.
- Transpiration occurs at a higher rate in plants that have not adapted to drier conditions.
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.