ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Experiment: Is energy released by germinating seeds?
Aim: Determine whether energy is released when seeds are germinating.
Hypothesis: Seeds are structures produced by plants (living organisms). They respire when they are germinating.
Materials: tow insulated containers/vacuum flasks, two supporting stands, two thermometers, large amount of soaked seeds, cotton wool, mild disinfectant.
- Soak the seeds overnight to soften their testas.
- Boil half of the soaked seeds to kill them. Allow them to cool and wash them in a mild disinfectant ( to kill any other living organisms that might be in the seeds).
- Wash the unboiled seeds in a mild disinfectant as well.
- Place the seeds insulated containers and insert thermometers.
- Plug them with cotton wool.
- Make sure you place the same amount of seeds in each of the containers.
- Record the temperature in each container.
- Record the temperature at the same time each day.
- The temperature of the boiled seeds remains unchanged.
- The temperature of the unboiled seeds increases gradually and levels off as the seeds begin germinating.
- Energy is released during the germination process.
- Seeds respire and release energy during the germination process.
- Heat is produced during the respiration process.
NB The boiled seeds are the control in this instance.
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.