ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Experiment: Generating electricity
Aim: To generate electric current
Materials: dynamo, lamp bulb, copper wires, crank or a set of pulleys and weights to turn dynamo, rubber band
- Set up the apparatus with the dynamo on a table, the rubber band acting as a conveyor belt, and the weights attached to pulleys.
- Attach the weight so that it turns the turbines as it falls
- Drop the weight to generate electricity
Results and Observations
- The weight has potential energy when it is held stationary
- As it falls the potential energy turns to kinetic energy
- The turbine turns and rotates the dynamo which converts the kinetic energy into electrical energy
- Generators convert kinetic energy into electrical energy
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.