ZIMSEC SCHOOL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PAPER 1 1122/1
November 2008 Session 1 hour 30 minutes
TIME 1 hour 30 minutes
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
- Read the paper carefully before answering the questions.
- Answer two questions.
- Answer one question from Section A and one from Section B.
- Write your answers on the separate answer paper provided.
- If you use more than one sheet of paper, fasten the sheets together.
INFORMATION TO CANDIDATES
- The number of marks is given in brackets
SECTION A ( 30 MARKS)
Write a composition on one of the following topics. Your answer should be between 350 and 450 words in length. You are advised to spend 50 minutes on this section.
- Describe an incident that angered everyone in your neighbourhood. 
- Write a story based on one of the following statements:
Either a) That day, my parents were so proud of me. 
Or b) As he stepped into the office, fear gripped him. 
3. The spread of HIV/AIDS can be prevented. Do you agree? 
4. My childhood. 
5. In what ways can schools promote equal opportunities for boys and girls? 
6. Music. 
7. What should be done to improve the living conditions in your area? 
SECTION B ( 20 MARKS)
8. The Editor of your school magazine has asked you to contribute an article entitled ” Why my school is the best” to the school magazine. Using points given below and adding any other relevant points of your own, write the article.making sure that it is persuasive enough to market your school.
– quality teachers.
-learning and sporting facilities.
To access more exams go to the English Language Examinations page.