ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Experiment: The effect of different forces on sponge rubber
Aim: To show the effects of forces on a sponge rubber
Materials: a small piece of rectangular sponge rubber/foam rubber like the one used to make cheap mattresses
- Observe the shape of the sponge rubber before it is subjected to any type of force
- Apply compression force to the sponge rubber by pushing it from two opposite ends using your hands
- Observe how the shape changes when you do this
- Pull the sponge rubber on both hands and observe the change in shape
- Twist the sponge rubber and observe the resulting shape change
Results and Observations
- The rectangular piece is perfectly shaped before any force is applied
- When it is pushed (compression forces) its length is reduced and it bulges in the middle
- When it is pulled its length increases and it becomes thinner in the middle
- When it is twisted it thins in middle and the middle part become twisted
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.