ZIMSEC O Level Biology Notes:Properties and Biological significance of water
Property: Polar solvent
- Water is an excellent solvent for ions and polar molecules because the water molecules attract to them, collect and separate them.
- This is what happens when a substance dissolves in water.
- Once a chemical is in solution, it is free to move about and react with other chemicals.
- Most processes in living organisms take place in solution.
- Non-polar molecules like lipids are insoluble in water.
- If surrounded by water they tend to repel/ push away forming micelles.
Biological role of this property
- This is important in hydrophobic interactions in protein structure and membrane structure by increasing the stability of these structures.
To access more topics go to the O Level Biology Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.