ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: The Portuguese in the Zambezi Valley: The benefits and damage of Portuguese activities to the Mutapa State
- They introduced new farming methods.
- Introduced new crops e.g. maize and cassava.
- Introduced new mining methods.
- Brought in new goods such as cloth.
- They brought in new weapons for defense against neighbouring tribes.
- They abused African men and women.
- They used forced labour which they relied on in their prazos.
- The interfered in the political system in ways that led to the eventual collapse of the Mutapa state.
- They diluted the African culture.
- They exploited Africans during trade and often did not pay fair prices for goods.
- They depleted the natural resources especially minerals within the Mutapa state.
- They left a lot of Africans landless.
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.