ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Natural Resources: Fishing:Advantages and disadvantages of aquaculture
- the rearing of aquatic animals or the cultivation of aquatic plants for food
- It is practiced in ponds, rivers, dams, lakes or even oceans
- It is also known as aquafarming
- The rearing is carried out under controlled conditions
- An example is the rearing of trout fish at Claremont Estates in Nyanga Zimbabwe
- The development of the tourist industry such as trout fishing in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe.
- Reduction of diseases like malaria and bilharzia as some fish species feed on mosquito larvae or bilharzia carrying snails.
- Provision of cheap protein for local population.
- Provision of a source of income when producers sell the fish to local markets.
- Allows for the recycling of waste for example chicken droppings used as fish food.
- Can create jobs in community.
- Can increase revenue on city, state and national level
- Can reduce seafood trade deficit.
- Can encourage local investment.
- Can increase scientific knowledge and technology.
- Can place more emphasis on protecting coastal waters from pollution, especially in the case of mollusk and seaweed culture.
- May reduce fishing pressure on certain wild stocks if that species can be produced through aquaculture rather than fished.
- Can conflict with other users of water bodies such as lobstermen, fishermen or
- Can put excess pressure on wild stocks that are used to create high protein feed
- Can amplify and transfer disease and parasites to wild fish populations.
- Can pollute water systems with excess nutrients (fish feed & wastes), chemicals
- Can compromise native gene pools if farmed fish and native species interbreed.
- Can threaten livelihood of fishermen.
- Can be an unpredictable enterprise for small local communities due to its susceptibility to severe weather, predators, disease, and global competition.
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen