ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland: African Affairs Board
- It was established as a safeguard measure against racial segregation
- It protected Africans from racial segregation and also stood up for their rights and interests
- It consisted of 3 African members and 3 European members who represented African interests
- They were led by a chairman and deputy chairman selected by the Governor General
- It raised matters concerning Africans t the Prime Minister , the Federal Executive or Federal Assembly
- It acted as the watchdog for African rights abuse
- It analysed proposed Bills and made sure they did not segregate Africans
- They would consult with the Federal Assembly if they felt the Bill was infringing on the rights of Africans
- The board had its successes among them equal facilities in railway dining cars and restaurants, in government and improvement of the living conditions of Africans
- The board was however seen as a failure because most of their protests were ignored
- The Constitutional Amendment Bill of 1957 and the Electoral Bills 1958 challenged the efforts of the board despite its efforts to advocate for electoral equality
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.