ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes:Types of industry: Primary Industry
- These produce or extract raw materials from nature to be used by other economic sectors.
- Examples include fishing, farming, forestry and mining.
- Developing countries have traditionally been suppliers of raw materials to advanced countries.
- This is one of the reasons that they were colonized.
- As a result, they have many well-established extractive industries.
- There are also other reasons why extractive industries have grown in these developing countries such as Zimbabwe.
- Among them is the availability of the raw materials,
- the cheapness of extraction,
- the availability of the technology required as well as the need to create employment for the rapidly expanding population.
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page