ZIMSEC O Level Business Studies Notes: Managing Human Resources: Trade Unions: Types of Industrial Action
- If and when there is a failure in negotiations and conflict resolution employees may resort to industrial action
- Industrial action refers to steps that employees can take to force management to accept their demands
- There are various types of industrial action:
- Withdrawal of cooperation
- Work to rule
- Overtime ban
- Go slow
Withdrawal of cooperation
- This is when union leaders pull out of a negotiations with management
Work to rule
- A form of industrial action where employees continue to report for work
- They carry out their duties but drastically slow down the operations by punctilious adherence to a narrow interpretation of work rules included in the collective bargaining agreement.
- Employees do no more than the minimum required by the rules of their contract, and precisely follow all safety or other regulations, which may cause a slowdown or decrease in productivity
- For example drivers may insist on driving vehicles that have been serviced, have fire extinguishers etc
- Mechanics may insist on certain spanners instead of using say a shifting spanner
- is collective, organized, cessation or slowdown of work by employees, to force acceptance of their demands by the employer.
- A strike usually takes place in response to employee grievances.
- They are a form of collective bargaining
- There are many types of strikes including:
- wild cat strike- is when a strike is carried out by employees who either are not unionized or without the approval of union authorities
- picketing- is when workers stand outside their workplace usually waving placards and chanting their grievances
- Picketing workers may obstruct or prevent other employees from performing their duties or entering the workplace
- Sit in/Sit down- is when workers report to their stations but do not perform any duties
- This is when workers refuse to work outside regular hours
Go slow/Slow down
- Is when employees drastically reduce their productivity as a form of protest
To access more topics go to the O Level Business Notes
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.