ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport: Transport Modes: Road Transport
- Is fast over short distances.
- Is cheap over short distances.
- It is direct and offers door to door delivery services
- there is a wide network of roads already available meaning
- even remote areas can be accessed by this form of transport
- and vehicles can be re-routed when this is needed.
- Operates on flexible:
- Timetables hence goods can be carried any time
- Routes since vehicles can travel anywhere.
- There is minimum handling of goods thus reducing risks of theft of and damage to the goods.
- It is suitable to carry:
- perishable goods such as flowers
- Fragile products such as glass
- Loads of different shapes and sizes.
- There is no transhipment of goods i.e. goods need not be unloaded and loaded again.
- Is possible to organise return loads.
- Can carry advertisements on the sides of the vans.
- May use special trucks and trailers.
- Vehicles can be owned by people and individuals.
- Vehicles and roads have a low maintenance cost.
- Is slow over long distances.
- Is relatively expensive over long distances.
- Is not suitable for carrying heavy goods and bulky loads.
- Can be affected by:
- Poor weather conditions e.g. thunderstorms.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.