ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: The United Nations: The Treaties and Steps taken to form the United Nations (UN)
- The Atlantic conference/charter of August 1941- In August of 1941 Roosevelt and Churchill drew up the charter in which they proposed the formation of a the United Nations which would maintain peace and safety for all nations.
- The First Washington Conference/Arcadia Conference January 1942-26 Nations met in Washington in June and they all accepted the Atlantic charter in which the USA, USSR and Britain led the Nations.
- Moscow declaration October 1943-On the 30th of October the USA, USSR, Britain and France signed the Moscow declaration. They all agreed to set a date for the establishment of an international organisation.
- Tehran December 1943- The USSR, USA and Britain agreed to work together on the International organisation to which all democratic nations would be welcome.
- Dumbarton Oak Conference 1944-The USSR, Britain and China met at Dumbarton Oaks in Washington D.C. and planned the organisation with emphasis on the power and responsibilities of the Security Council.
- Malta conference February 1945- The USSR, USA and Britain met in Malta to make amendments on the Dumbarton Oaks agreement. They agree that five permanent members of the Security Council would have veto power.
- San Francisco Conference April-June 1945-50 nations met at San Francisco and signed a UN charter. This placed the UN headquarters in New York.
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.