ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: The nitrogen cycle
- Nitrogen makes up 79% of the atmosphere
- Animals cannot absorb Nitrogen as a gas
- They absorb it indirectly usually as part of food
- Recycling of nitrogen is carried out by legumes and by groups of bacteria
- Examples of legume plants are legumes and acacias
- Legumes have bacteria that live in their root nodules which convert gaseous nitrogen into proteins in the plant
- Legumes can as a result of this grow in soils that are low in nitrogen
- Some types of bacteria also use nitrogen and other organic compounds as sources of food and energy
- This results in nitrogen being converted from one form to another
- Lightning energy also combines with gaseous nitrogen and turns into nitrates
- Human activities such as adding fertilizers containing nitrogen to the soils are also part of the cycle
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.