ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: The metal iron
- Iron in mined mostly in South-Central Zimbabwe
- Haemitite (iron ore) deposits can be found at Redcliff and Buchwa
- There are other deposits in other places but the Redcliff site has the advantage of having limestone deposits next by
- Limestone is used in the processing of iron
- The iron ore is converted into iron and steel at the Redcliff mine
- Coal which is used to make coke and fire the process is brought in from Hwange using railway lines
- Very few metals are found in nature as elements and iron is no exception
- Most metals combine with oxygen, sulphure and carbon dioxide
- They thus occur in nature as metal compounds
- These compound ores have to be processed to extract the minerals
- Iron ore also has to be processed to obtain the metal iron
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.